"Whoever will introduce into public affairs the principles of Christianity will change the face of the world." -- Benjamin Franklin
Now we are probing towards the very heart and purpose of this book. Under the present condition of the Christian church in America, we could not fill the shoes of leadership even if the pagans would roll out the red carpet and invite us into the seats of power. Some Christians are even wandering about in the wilderness of ethical relativism, not knowing what are just punishments for child abuse or murder and not knowing if government should fund art, homosexual art, education, condoms, welfare, needles for drug addicts, medical care, prisons, or random searches and seizures. These same Christians do not study to know what the Bible states concerning these things (or don't care to know). Some may even loudly claim that the Bible is irrelevant to anything of essence.
Some Christians do not even realize that the Federal Reserve System has been espousing a debauched currency since 1913. Some Christians do not think a government that taxes its populace of 90% of the gross national income is any worse than a government that taxes its populace of 47.3% of its income. Many Christians have abandoned ship, culturally speaking, claiming that Christians have nothing to do with this world. Of course, these same Christians obey ungodly laws, support ungodliness with their tax money without protest, send their children into the temples of Baal (government schools) where they are taught the religions of humanism and paganism, and watch "cultural" expressions in movies and television that are rife with suggestions to disobey God's laws. We cannot expect much leadership to surface from Christians void of faith, steadfast purpose, and a cogent system of law.
While such is the case with Christians, the world waits for another opportunity for political and economic freedom. And it will continue to wait until Christians are adequately prepared with the knowledge and convictions of God's Words. When this happens, these Christians will guide the political structure of the new free country where evil is punished and good is rewarded with freedom to life, liberty, and property (Romans 13:3). All people will enjoy the freedoms created in this new country whether they be non-Christians, foreigners, poor, or tyrannized. But for now the world will wait until Christians are prepared.
Today, we are not ready for the Second Mayflower. Actually, some people have told me that we are not even ready for a book about the Second Mayflower. But the timing is all the more critical because our country is standing at the brink of increased tyranny, especially for Christians and freemen. It's time to get ready.
The geo-political situation is changing rapidly on all corners of the world. If the positions of political power in some geographic location were to open, would we be ready to enter? Now is the time to be laying the groundwork for government and culture based on Christian principles. Now is the time to be raising a ground swell of informed, well-read, godly Christians who understand the mistakes of history, the requirements of God's laws, and the despicable situation that surrounds them in the 1990's.
In 1992, at least 40,000 people in America voted for Howard Phillips for president. It wasn't a great many partly because many people had never heard of Mr. Phillips and those who had heard of him didn't wish to "waste their vote" on one who would have actually vetoed budgets over and over again, tearing down the temples of Baal funded by federal dollars -- the entitlement programs, the safe sodomy programs, the National Endowment for the Arts funding, Planned Parenthood funding, evolutionary Public Television, Education funding, and on and on. Forty thousand people preferred principles to endless compromise. That, I believe, is a very good sign.
We must prepare ourselves by living principled lives here and now. We must advocate principled government here and now. It is, I fear, the bulk of Americans who have to a great extent forgotten what it is to live as a free man. What is a free man? Few of us have been acquainted with the freedom that was enjoyed in 1720...or 1840... or 1905. Our freedoms have been disappearing so steadily, and the existence of strong freemen is so rare that few of us know how we would live as freemen! It is something unfamiliar to our lifestyles, to our world. Freedom grows gradually in the hearts of freemen, and we can only learn of it by seeing other freemen and reading about them in the history books, the autobiographies, and the Bible. Freedom is largely dependent on the existence of freemen, not the ordinary, complacent slaves who lovingly embrace their chains. If we are to build freedom, we must build freemen.
As best as I can understand the autobiographies of our early founding fathers who founded this great free nation, these are some of the characteristics of a free man:
1. A free man is a self-governing man. He submits himself to Jesus Christ and obeys the commands of the Bible. If we are to advocate a limited government at the top that is free of tyranny, the individual must learn to govern himself. Tyrannies prosper where men are self-centered, quick-tempered, and always eager to take their neighbors to court.
2. A free man embraces responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. The free man has a program for his family. His children do not grow up by accident, watching whatever television programs they want, eating whatever they want, going wherever they want, or "hanging out" with whatever crowd they want. A free man has certain goals, certain values, and a well-defined program under which he raises his family. If a man does not set the program for his family, the government will do it. The government has a program for everything and it will gladly accommodate where individuals are too lazy to take responsibility. A free man sits at the control panel of his family's life and directs the course. He finances, controls, and dictates the training and education of his children.
3. A free man is a debt-free man. The free man has a well-defined financial program, a savings plan, and a budget under which his family will prosper. One of the most rewarding experiences I ever had in my life was the 9 months I lived after I had paid off my first little home. Although it was a tiny mobile-home on an undesirable piece of property, it was the first time in my life I enjoyed the sweet taste of "freedom."
4. A free man is a hard-working man. The Bible commands, "Six days you shall labor and do all your work." The free man achieves great satisfaction, fulfillment, and financial reward from his work, but this is not without the expense of great pains. We only live for a brief moment, and one day we will enjoy everlasting rest. I would hope that during the little time that we are on earth, we would "redeem the time," for it is a precious commodity and all we are really given to spend during our lives.
5. A free man is a principled man. Freedom is impossible without morality. Free enterprise is corrupted when people begin to cheat. Capitalism is corrupted and labor-management relations break down when management has no good relationship with its employees. The principles of the Bible are basic to the maintenance of free enterprise. "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven" (Colossians 4:1).
6. A free man is a compassionate man. Freedom is impossible without private charity; otherwise, a good many people will become dependent on the government for security. Families must take care of their own. Children must be prepared to take their parents into their homes when they are elderly and needy. Neighbors must be willing to help out neighbors. Private charities were common in America for many years during the 1800's. The evils of socialism were avoided by faithfulness to the Biblical forms of charity.
Financial preparation means we must become accustomed to debt-free living here and now. Freemen make themselves hostages to banks and governments when they are in debt. Our government could deflate the money supply and wipe out almost every mortgaged homeowner in America. We gave up control of the money supply to the Federal Reserve in 1913. If they were to decide to deflate, the banks could foreclose on many loans although the government may wish to confiscate all the homes and rent them to us as they do in communist countries. The right to own property is basic to freedom. We own property when the government does not tax it and the bank does not hold a loan on it. Very few people have experienced political freedom in our time. Fewer people have experienced freedom from the noose of debt.
When I talk about debt-free living, most people think I am referring to plastic and car loans. But debt free living is more basic than that. The goal of every free man must be to own his home debt-free, and never should any family have over 50% of its equity in a debted investment.
The way you will arrange your finances depends a great deal on your perspective of the future. For the purpose of this article, I will assume my reader has $5,000 to $150,000 in equity (savings, home, investments, etc.).
PERSPECTIVE NUMBER 1
You see a short term (5-15 year) tyranny in America (which will include a depression of sorts) followed by a return to a free economy and opportunities to invest safely.
1. If over 50% of your net worth is locked up in a mortgaged home, get out of debt now. You could lose your home in the upcoming depression (particularly if you are in debt).
2. Try to own your home in full (without any mortgage).
3. Protect at least 10% of your net worth in bullion gold or gold coins.
4. For sophisticated investors, an out-of-country bank account may be in order.
5. Invest in education -- books, classes, literature, literature printing and distribution -- educate yourself and others in a skill, Christian principles and Christian living. Good principled government can only be built by good people.
PERSPECTIVE NUMBER 2
You foresee a long term (50-200 years) tyranny in America which will include economic cataclysm not unlike that seen by the communist countries in Eastern Europe and Asia. You see the government taking steps to outlaw home schooling and increased persecution on churches which take a stand against homosexuality. (But you see some areas of the world remaining free.)
1. Invest in education, educating yourself in a "basic" trade that would be useful if you start up a business in a new country or "free" state. Learn proficiency in business and a good work ethic.
2. Slowly convert your assets to increasingly safer investments. Do not do it hurriedly or so as the government can monitor your activities. You may go from stocks to mutual funds to precious metals over years. Any stock certificates should be held in hand. This strategy prevents you from over-reacting to the economic situation. (If all your investments were in gold immediately, you may lose on potentially good returns in mutual funds and real property.)
3. Immediately put at least 10% of your investment portfolio in untraceable gold or silver. This "small" amount of precious metals can be concealed without difficulty. A safety deposit box in a bank would not be recommended.
4. If you are definitely planning a move to a safer state to start up a business, you may wish to move your money into stock or a partnership already in that free state. Also, if you intend to start up your own business, start buying equipment for that business now when it is affordable.
5. If over 50% of your net worth is locked up in a mortgaged home, get out of debt now. You could lose your home in the upcoming depression (particularly if you are in debt).
6. Invest money in books, tapes, and video tapes to educate your family, your closest friends and church members in the doctrines of the Bible, godly government, good laws, and sound economic policy. A free country may not be formed until you have passed on; however, do not bury your talents in the ground and wait for the end. Plan for the long run. Investments in solid books and educational tools are never wasted investments.
(Perspective 2 is the most reasonable perspective in this author's opinion.)
PERSPECTIVE NUMBER 3
You see the entire world coming under tremendous tyranny for the long term (50-200) years. You don't believe there will be a haven for freedom and for investments. This is the most pessimistic view of the future.
1. Slowly convert your assets to increasingly safer investments. Do not do it hurriedly so as the government can monitor your activities. You may go from stocks to mutual funds to precious metals over years. This strategy prevents you from over-reacting to the economic situation. (If all your investments were in gold immediately, you may lose on potentially good returns in mutual funds and real property.)
2. Immediately put at least 10% of your investment portfolio in untraceable gold or silver. This "small" amount of precious metals can be concealed without difficulty. DO NOT USE A SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX. Silver is best for small purchases on the black markets.
3. If you are correct and government restrictions are growing on investments, families, and churches worldwide, then you may want to convert the bulk of your investment to gold and conceal it where no one will find it.
4. Invest money in good books and tapes to educate your children in the ways of the Bible, godly government, good laws, and sound economic policy. (A good bibliography is listed at the end of this book intended for this purpose.) Before you die, trust your most trustworthy son or daughter with the location of your savings, and tell him or her to use them only when there is a place in the world that is friendly to private investors.
5. As you become sure of the approaching tyranny sell your debted investments and collect as much of the equity as you can. Renting may become a wiser approach than buying a home.
1. We must prepare ourselves spiritually by reading the Bible and educating ourselves on the proper role of husbands, wives, churches, government, and all of life's spheres. This is the time we can cultivate our faith in God by studying the Bible, prayer, family devotions, church attendance, and obeying God's laws in our daily lives. This will stabilize us individually amidst the frightful turmoil that slowly encloses around us.
Fathers should teach their families authoritatively from the Bible, applying the principles of the Bible to daily life.
Christians should not be independent of all godly leadership -- even fathers need to be accountable to other godly men. Unless we "cast in our lot" and covenant together with other godly people in a church right now, we will never be ready to covenant together for a community under God. I have seen many families splintered by sin who have refused to be members of any church. The parents' independence translates into autonomy from under God's law, particularly in the minds of their children.
2. We must prepare ourselves in a business or skill that will be required in the new country to which we will be going.
Those who would like to pursue their own businesses in the new free country should become highly skilled in that area now while there is some economic activity remaining here. This training will be invaluable to eventually achieving success in business later at the free haven.
A very important part of advancing freedom is the exercise of free enterprise. Freemen must become acquainted with entrepreneurial free enterprise. People are most motivated when they do not toil as slaves for another man's profit. This has been partially evident in our time. Anybody can assemble a computer and we know many who went into business for themselves in the early 1980's and made an impact on IBM's PC market. A conservative, hard-working freeman can even afford an automated injection molding machine at a price tag of $50,000. With this machine and good salesmanship, he can start a business to compete with the largest manufacturers. Hundreds of thousands of free enterprising people have flocked to Amway and other network marketing businesses just for a chance at exercising their entrepreneurial inclinations.
A free country will be a country of decentralized business simply because freemen have the courage, the innovation, and the industriousness to succeed without a need for the security of large corporations and governments. The machine shops, retail outlets, software programming, and transportation services will be privately owned by small families who enjoy the direct fruits of their labors. There will be few large corporations and millions of small businesses. These small businesses will manufacture components for the larger assemblies, emphasizing quality and integrity in their work while competing rigorously in the marketplace. Meantime, the government gets out of the way so that these free people may trade freely with each other. The corporations today are needed by a populace who do not like to risk much for profit; they are people who love the security of big government programs and big corporate programs. This is not so in a free country where people work hard and trust God for their rewards. Freemen don't rely on tenure, lazily avoiding innovation, hard work, and constant improvement. Freemen don't thirst for retirement, but work to live.
3. We ought to teach our children well in the areas of good government, good laws, good family government, and good living (according to the teaching of the Bible). Freedom cannot exist without good laws and morality on the part of the people. Our primary mission field is our family, and when we fail here, we have failed at a substantial portion of life's duties.
4. We ought to start now to support a principled political party, preferably a party that bases its platform on Biblical principles. Look for a party that is 100% against abortion, that is for sound money (abolishing the Federal Reserve), that is against government funding and control of education, that is against socialism, that is against property taxation, and that is for restitution and execution as replacements for prisons.
5. We ought to embrace all of our God-given responsibilities, often relegated to the state. This means we finance, mandate, and plan our children's education. This means we are responsible for taking care of our parents in their old age (Mt. 15:5-7). We are responsible to leave an inheritance to our children's children. We are responsible for the poor among us. We are accountable to provide for our families. It may take many years, but good people must begin now to wean themselves from the government.
6. We ought to support principled media that promotes freedom, instead of those that support government schools, government intervention into families, inflationary money systems, totalitarianism, socialism, homosexuality, adultery, and abortion. Subscribe to weekly magazines that have a distinctly Christian and anti-totalitarian viewpoint. The primary influence in today's government is the media. Do not support newspapers, magazines, television programs, and motion pictures that propound and further exasperbate the problems. Be discriminating. Choose the best media and support them.
Even the best of us are influenced in small ways by the suggestions of the major media sources. We must protect ourselves by balancing these resources with principled news and entertainment sources. Otherwise we are slowly lured into compatibility with systems that are diametrically opposed to Biblical principles.
7. We ought to continue to consider the possibility of migration to a safer area for our families and churches. It may be another state that would be more lenient towards Christian home schools and churches or it may be another country. Keep the option open. Though it may not be wise to make a move now, the time may come when this becomes the inevitable option. Since the beginning of time, there have always been havens for freedom (areas of the world that are better than others). A wise person will constantly consider the alternatives.
Freemen are destroyed when they have no political savvy. "For lack of knowledge, the people perish."
There is no room for naivete when it comes to political power. The socialists are hot in pursuit of world government under powerful dictatorial rule. They are hungry for power. Their very religion is power. They worship their god, the state, with a fervency I wish more Christians had for the true God.
The political waters are murkied as the country drifts further away from godly economics and principled law. Nobody really knows who is right. "The socialists could be right. Everybody is equally right," they tell us. "Just give them a chance and King Bill's economic plans may work." If we were educated in terms of good law, good economics, and good government, we would know that economics of the Reagan administration, the Bush administration, and the Clinton administration are all bound to fail. A new country will fail and continue to fail if it is not built on principled economics and proper government. Therefore we should educate ourselves on the principles of Biblical government.
A new country will never be a free haven without a government based on Biblical principles and citizens that will maintain that government by electing principled men who understand and will conform their views to the Bible. A haven for freedom would be a waste of time unless the participants understand what it takes to create political freedom and what it takes to keep it for generations.
The truth of the matter is that in all political realms it is those that are uncompromisingly evil and those that are uncompromisingly Biblical that are most powerful. Those few stalwarts on either side of the political scale are the ones who tip the ballances. The bulk of the politicians, citizens, and churches are crowded into the middle and really have very little effect on the political climate. It is the few who stand uncompromisingly for what is right that are most effective in swaying the masses and bringing a country under righteous rule and political freedom.
We should educate others on the principles of godly living and godly government. Now is the time to practice our beliefs and work for social change by preaching God's law and God's salvation. The law awakens people to their sinful condition and makes them desire salvation by grace, not by government. A friend of mine used to impress on me the importance of declaring God's laws to the unsaved as a precursor to the Gospel. He would say, "They have to hear the bad news before they're ready for the good news!" So it is possible that God could have mercy on this country. At this late hour we may be doubtful as Jonah was at Ninevah. Nevertheless, if we cannot speak the truth to others here, certainly we will be of little use anywhere else. Free countries are built by principled people who will not compromise when it comes to the principles of the Bible.
We should insist that our political candidates are leaders that substantially uphold the Biblical principles of government. In the appendix to this book we outline these principles in the form of a party platform. Most of the candidates that run for office today in the United States are candidates that Christians could not support in good conscience. Politicians can woo the conservative Christian votes by good rhetoric. But their votes and their softened comments to liberal audiences manifest that they are only being used by the left. The most fundamental rule for voters is: "Vote by the candidate's record...not by what he says."
Though probably not a Christian, Kipling well-understood the eternal importance of Biblical principles when he wrote The Gods of the Copybook Headings. Even though Christian principles are not popular today and are being drowned out by the incessant indoctrination of the "gods of the marketplace," these Biblical principles continue to prove their validity just as do the laws of gravity. (The Copybook Headings were Bible verses and proverbs that decorated the head of children's school slates.)
The Gods of the Copybook Headings
By Rudyard Kipling
As I pass through my incarnations in every age and race,
I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market-Place.
Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.
We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn
That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind,
So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.
We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace.
Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market-Place;
But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in Rome.
With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch.
They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch.
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings.
So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbor and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "The Wages of Sin is Death."
In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "If you don't work you die."
Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew,
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four-
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.
As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man -
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began: -
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;
And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!